Thursday, August 14, 2008

Federer stunned by Blake in singles


I know, "two sports posts in one day?" But I yelped when I heard this on the radio today. JAMES BLAKE finally beat Federer! Blake is now in the running to earn an Olympic medal and Federer is left to lick his wounds before he cedes his #1 ranking to Nadal on Monday. I'm so excited for Blake. I had to search some to find a picture of Blake during or after this match. Even though many news sources covered the story, most pictures were of Federer. The one posted here is from ESPN and was preceded by a photo of Federer (and a Hooters ad). Usually the triumph of an American would be very much celebrated but...Maybe I haven't mentioned this on my blog before, however there is still a heck of a lot of racism in tennis (and golf and soccer and certain other sports). A network commentator during Wimbledon said that Venus' forehand reminded him of a favorite horse of his. Later he said that, like their mother, he wasn't sure which of the Williams sisters to root for and..."I'm not anywhere near related to them." So, what's the difference between not being related to someone and not being anywhere near related to them? If Venus' forehand reminded him of a horse, he reminded me of a used diaper.

1 comment:

enigma4ever said...

Wooooohoooo !!!

( I am watching Serena now...man she is soooo amazing)

( I put you in my Blog Round up - folks need to know about your blog ;-)

 
.comment-timestamp { display:none; }