Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Wifeswapping: Pants and Politics


"So," you say, "What a cute photo. That must be Cindy and John McCain, right?" John McCain, yes. Cindy, no. Meet Carol, his first wife. He was married to Carol, the swimwear model, until she got too old and ugly for his taste. Don't believe me? Listen to Ross Perot: "After he came home, Carol walked with a limp. So he threw her over for a poster girl with big money from Arizona and the rest is history." Countering those who might chalk it all up to the difficulties of returning home after being a POW in Vietnam, Carol herself said in regard to the failure of their marriage and his infidelity, "I attribute it more to John turning 40 and wanting to be 25 again than I do to anything else." And John agrees, "My marriage's collapse was attributable to my own selfishness and immaturity more than it was to Vietnam." I admire the honesty. I don't admire the history of infidelity and I don't admire the mainstream media for making infidelity a huge issue for others but not when they talk about McCain. Most people I have spoken too don't even know that he was married before, not to mention that he cheated on wife #1 multiple times and then finally dumped her for the filthy rich 25 year-old Cindy.

By the way, I wondered what his first wife looked like and googling her (I've got to stop using that damn search engine of the Machine) lead me to the site Constructive Anarchy. This site is pretty humorous and reminded me of a few additional things about the lovely McCain like that he actively opposed and voted against creating a national Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

Apparently, with the exception of some photos posted by the Washington Post chronicling McCain's life, there are surprisingly few pictures of Carol McCain online. The thing is though, she was a professional swimsuit/underwear model before this. A gazillion people must have pictures of her in magazines, on calendars, pin-up posters, etc., in their attics. But, even with McCain being a public figure for years now and despite the fact that this is his second try for the White House, none are online? Can we say weird?! Moreover, none of McCain's philandering past has received mention on any of the mainstream networks that I know of. I asked people about this after I read it and they said that they had no idea he had a history of infidelity, that he was still married to Carol when he was running around with Cindy, or that Cindy had a drug problem and stole drugs from a charity organization. These kinds of things are apparently not as newsworthy as Edwards' inability to keep his pants or whether Michelle Obama is proud of everything this country does or not.

I would argue that basically none of these boys can keep their pants on, so I don't really care who the latest person to have had an affair is...I just want some equitable coverage when it comes to the candidates. Even better, let's just talk about the issues and stop the character attacks, warranted or not. So Edwards was sleeping around...does that suddenly mean that the issue he has put so much energy into, that of eliminating the poverty that affects so many in this country, isn't actually an issue at all? McCain's filandering ways are also much less important to me than whether he would, as president, continue the unchecked and inhumane military actions of the Bush administration.

6 comments:

enigma4ever said...

great post...thank you for doing this...and spreading the word...about McGramps...

enigma4ever said...

oh, I meant to say that was so nice what you wrote Tomcat...we do miss him- hope he is back soon...

Alien Citizen said...

Absolutely. He's really been a central figure on this side of the blogging universe and a nice person too! Pleased to meet you by the way...welcome to my blog which is slowly but surely being resurrected.

enigma4ever said...

I will add you to my blogroll...I have a few blogs Watergate Summer is my main blog, then I have ENIGMA CAFE which is life, politics and More...and then there is Naked Sushi-which is just food....

Welcome back...

I too have known Tomcat for about a year...but Patriot says he is okay and has been talking to him on the phone..I am not sure what is up- but he says he is okay...so I have to hope he will be back soon....

keep blogging ( and thank you for the info about Homeless kids....share the video if you like...)

Alien Citizen said...

Thanks! I decided to pick the blog that was in all CAPS and noticed you had posted recently so thought I had hit on your primary blog. How do you manage to post on so many on a regular basis?

I'll link to Watergate Summer on this blog.

two crows said...

hey again, AC--
**sigh** it's so hard when the rethugs go after the dems for behaviors they condone on their own side of the aisle.

meanwhile, I agree -- I don't care that McSame is a philanderer, per se -- tho the fact that he treated Carol SO shabbily [abandoning her when she was ill] does turn my stomach.

still-- the issues are the issue -- if only the media would just stick to those and leave the candidate's personal lives alone [ALL of em -- not just the rethugs' lives] our elections wouldn't have become the laughingstock they are.

 
.comment-timestamp { display:none; }