Wednesday, July 04, 2007

What God would Bless America?

One of my favorite bloggers, Two Crows, recently wrote a comment which echoed my own feelings about this national "holiday"...July 4th is
"a pretty hollow holiday, these days. it never _was_ one of my favorites -- I never could get behind celebrating genocide, slavery, discrimination, sexism and the general sense of 'we're better than everybody else and don't you dare forget it!"
Sometimes I don't say anything rather than venting my frustration with the state of things...of course change rarely comes from silence however. They were celebrating the troops, including the marines, etc. and this will bring to mind my student Chris (see former post, Now, I'm Angry. I cannot celebrate the fact that the marines have taken him away from those of us who care about him, about his soul (how else can I put it? The army sends home hollowed out people. There must be no mistake in the words "Hollow" and "Hallow" being so close to each other.)


What God would Bless America?

2 comments:

two crows said...

thanx for the quote and the link, ac.

hope you had as happy a 4th as possible under the circumstances.

Alien Citizen said...

Np. Ditto 2 crows.

 
.comment-timestamp { display:none; }